In the current healthcare, we have two jobs now: Our previous jobs and our managing COVID jobs.Sterling Ray III, MD Chief Medical Officer, HCA Houston Healthcare Kingwood
Top 3 challenges as a CMO:
- Staying abreast of the change in landscape of the pandemic, change in the science of understanding the infection, its presentation, testing, manifestation and management.
- Managing supplies and keeping people safe and compliant with guidelines and manage deviations.
- Managing fears and anxiety at multiple levels of the hospital and being able to speak to multiple different comfort levels
- Higher acuity of patients is seen but fewer in total numbers
- There is a new norm developing on a personal and professional level
- Being laser focused on COVID has made a unifying theme for people to rally around
- There maybe more burnout from the topic of COVID, not the practice of healthcare
- Focus is how to move forward
- In the healthcare, we have two jobs: Our previous jobs and our COVID jobs
- COVID may create new aspects/manifestation of burnout